Sector Valuation and Performance
Has the Australian Consumer Staples Sector valuation changed over the past few years?
|Date||Market Cap||Revenue||Earnings||PE||Absolute PE||PS|
|Thu, 01 Dec 2022||AU$106.7b||AU$156.5b||AU$4.3b||18.4x||24.9x||0.7x|
|Sat, 29 Oct 2022||AU$103.1b||AU$154.8b||AU$4.3b||18x||23.9x||0.7x|
|Mon, 26 Sep 2022||AU$104.4b||AU$154.8b||AU$4.3b||15.7x||24.2x||0.7x|
|Wed, 24 Aug 2022||AU$113.9b||AU$151.0b||AU$4.2b||16.1x||27.4x||0.8x|
|Fri, 22 Jul 2022||AU$113.9b||AU$150.8b||AU$4.2b||15.2x||27.3x||0.8x|
|Sun, 19 Jun 2022||AU$104.6b||AU$149.8b||AU$4.2b||16.4x||25.2x||0.7x|
|Tue, 17 May 2022||AU$114.8b||AU$149.4b||AU$4.1b||18.6x||27.9x||0.8x|
|Thu, 14 Apr 2022||AU$115.5b||AU$148.1b||AU$3.9b||19x||29.4x||0.8x|
|Sat, 12 Mar 2022||AU$107.6b||AU$148.1b||AU$3.9b||17.9x||27.4x||0.7x|
|Mon, 07 Feb 2022||AU$106.2b||AU$144.4b||AU$4.0b||21.8x||26.2x||0.7x|
|Wed, 05 Jan 2022||AU$115.5b||AU$144.4b||AU$4.0b||21.4x||28.5x||0.8x|
|Fri, 03 Dec 2021||AU$115.1b||AU$144.7b||AU$3.9b||20.3x||29.4x||0.8x|
|Sun, 31 Oct 2021||AU$113.0b||AU$143.3b||AU$3.7b||22.7x||30.5x||0.8x|
|Tue, 28 Sep 2021||AU$116.5b||AU$143.3b||AU$3.7b||22.6x||31.4x||0.8x|
|Thu, 26 Aug 2021||AU$119.5b||AU$140.5b||AU$3.6b||23.1x||33.3x||0.9x|
|Fri, 02 Jul 2021||AU$111.5b||AU$140.5b||AU$3.6b||22.7x||31x||0.8x|
|Mon, 05 Apr 2021||AU$100.9b||AU$128.6b||AU$2.9b||28x||35.2x||0.8x|
|Thu, 07 Jan 2021||AU$99.1b||AU$136.4b||AU$2.7b||28.1x||37x||0.7x|
|Wed, 30 Sep 2020||AU$91.7b||AU$122.5b||AU$2.1b||29.9x||43x||0.7x|
|Sat, 04 Jul 2020||AU$94.0b||AU$122.4b||AU$1.8b||26.5x||51.2x||0.8x|
|Tue, 07 Apr 2020||AU$87.3b||AU$126.3b||AU$2.3b||19.7x||37.8x||0.7x|
|Fri, 10 Jan 2020||AU$93.3b||AU$128.6b||AU$2.6b||21.1x||36.5x||0.7x|Price to Earnings Ratio
Current Industry PE
- Investors are pessimistic on the Australian Consumer Staples industry, indicating that they anticipate long term growth rates will be lower than they have historically.
- The industry is trading at a PE ratio of 24.9x which is lower than its 3-year average PE of 33.8x.
- The industry is trading close to its 3-year average PS ratio of 0.75x.
Past Earnings Growth
- The earnings for companies in the Consumer Staples industry have grown 18% per year over the last three years.
- Revenues for these companies have grown 6.8% per year.
- This means that more sales are being generated by these companies overall, and subsequently their profits are increasing too.
Which industries have driven the changes within the Australian Consumer Staples sector?
|Food and Staples Retail||-0.96%|
|Personal Products||-1.40%|Industry PE
- Investors are most optimistic about the Beverage industry which is trading above its 3-year average PE ratio of 33.7x.
- Analysts are expecting annual earnings growth of 15.2%, which is higher than its past year's earnings decline of 11.6% per year.
- Analysts are most optimistic on the Personal Products industry, expecting annual earnings growth of 25% over the next 5 years.
- This is better than its past earnings decline of 7.1% per year.
- In contrast, the Food and Staples Retail industry is expected to see its earnings grow by 4.8% per year over the next few years.
Top Stock Gainers and Losers
Which companies have driven the market over the last 7 days?