There is a lot to be liked about PacWest Bancorp (NASDAQ:PACW) as an income stock. It has paid dividends over the past 10 years. The company is currently worth US$4.8b, and now yields roughly 6.1%. Should it have a place in your portfolio? Let’s take a look at PacWest Bancorp in more detail.
Want to help shape the future of investing tools and platforms? Take the survey and be part of one of the most advanced studies of stock market investors to date.
5 checks you should use to assess a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Is its annual yield among the top 25% of dividend-paying companies?
- Has it paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past?
- Has dividend per share risen in the past couple of years?
- Can it afford to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Based on future earnings growth, will it be able to continue to payout dividend at the current rate?
How does PacWest Bancorp fare?
The company currently pays out 62% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a payout ratio of 62% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of around 6.2%. Furthermore, EPS should increase to $3.76.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company. A company with strong cash flow, relative to earnings, can sometimes sustain a high pay out ratio.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. Although PACW’s per share payments have increased in the past 10 years, it has not been a completely smooth ride. Shareholders would have seen a few years of reduced payments in this time.
In terms of its peers, PacWest Bancorp generates a yield of 6.1%, which is high for Banks stocks.
With these dividend metrics in mind, I definitely rank PacWest Bancorp as a strong income stock, and is worth further research for anyone who considers dividends an important part of their portfolio strategy. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. I’ve put together three relevant factors you should look at:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for PACW’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for PACW’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is PACW worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether PACW is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.