We have been pretty impressed with the performance at West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. (NYSE:WST) recently and CEO Eric Green deserves a mention for their role in it. The pleasing results would be something shareholders would keep in mind at the upcoming AGM on 04 May 2021. It is likely that the focus will be on company strategy going forward as shareholders hear from the board and cast their votes on resolutions such as executive remuneration and other matters. We think the CEO has done a pretty decent job and we discuss why the CEO compensation is appropriate.
How Does Total Compensation For Eric Green Compare With Other Companies In The Industry?
At the time of writing, our data shows that West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. has a market capitalization of US$24b, and reported total annual CEO compensation of US$7.6m for the year to December 2020. Notably, that's an increase of 17% over the year before. We think total compensation is more important but our data shows that the CEO salary is lower, at US$989k.
On comparing similar companies in the industry with market capitalizations above US$8.0b, we found that the median total CEO compensation was US$10m. From this we gather that Eric Green is paid around the median for CEOs in the industry. Furthermore, Eric Green directly owns US$30m worth of shares in the company, implying that they are deeply invested in the company's success.
Speaking on an industry level, nearly 19% of total compensation represents salary, while the remainder of 81% is other remuneration. West Pharmaceutical Services sets aside a smaller share of compensation for salary, in comparison to the overall industry. It's important to note that a slant towards non-salary compensation suggests that total pay is tied to the company's performance.
A Look at West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.'s Growth Numbers
West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.'s earnings per share (EPS) grew 32% per year over the last three years. Its revenue is up 17% over the last year.
This demonstrates that the company has been improving recently and is good news for the shareholders. It's also good to see decent revenue growth in the last year, suggesting the business is healthy and growing. Looking ahead, you might want to check this free visual report on analyst forecasts for the company's future earnings..
Has West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. Been A Good Investment?
Boasting a total shareholder return of 281% over three years, West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. has done well by shareholders. As a result, some may believe the CEO should be paid more than is normal for companies of similar size.
Given the company's decent performance, the CEO remuneration policy might not be shareholders' central point of focus in the AGM. In fact, strategic decisions that could impact the future of the business might be a far more interesting topic for investors as it would help them set their longer-term expectations.
CEO compensation is one thing, but it is also interesting to check if the CEO is buying or selling West Pharmaceutical Services (free visualization of insider trades).
Important note: West Pharmaceutical Services is an exciting stock, but we understand investors may be looking for an unencumbered balance sheet and blockbuster returns. You might find something better in this list of interesting companies with high ROE and low debt.
When trading West Pharmaceutical Services or any other investment, use the platform considered by many to be the Professional's Gateway to the Worlds Market, Interactive Brokers. You get the lowest-cost* trading on stocks, options, futures, forex, bonds and funds worldwide from a single integrated account. Promoted
Valuation is complex, but we're helping make it simple.
Find out whether West Pharmaceutical Services is potentially over or undervalued by checking out our comprehensive analysis, which includes fair value estimates, risks and warnings, dividends, insider transactions and financial health.View the Free Analysis
This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. We aim to bring you long-term focused analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material. Simply Wall St has no position in any stocks mentioned.
*Interactive Brokers Rated Lowest Cost Broker by StockBrokers.com Annual Online Review 2020
Have feedback on this article? Concerned about the content? Get in touch with us directly. Alternatively, email editorial-team (at) simplywallst.com.
West Pharmaceutical Services
West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. designs, manufactures, and sells containment and delivery systems for injectable drugs and healthcare products in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and the Asia Pacific.
Flawless balance sheet with acceptable track record.