Over the past 10 years Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM) has grown its dividend payouts from $1.6 to $3.28. With a market cap of US$339.42b, Exxon Mobil pays out 63.8% of its earnings, leading to a 4.1% yield. Let me elaborate on you why the stock stands out for income investors like myself.
What Is A Dividend Rock Star?
It is a stock that pays a consistent, reliable and competitive dividend over a long period of time, and is expected to continue to pay in the same manner many years to come. More specifically:
- Its annual yield is among the top 25% of dividend payers
- It has paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past
- Its dividend per share amount has increased over the past
- It can afford to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings
- It has the ability to keep paying its dividends going forward
High Yield And Dependable
Exxon Mobil’s dividend yield stands at 4.1%, which is high for Oil and Gas stocks. But the real reason Exxon Mobil stands out is because it has a high chance of being able to continue to pay dividend at this level for years to come, something that is quite desirable if you are looking to create a portfolio that generates a steady stream of income.
Reliablity is an important factor for dividend stocks, particularly for income investors who want a strong track record of payment and a positive outlook for future payout. XOM has increased its DPS from $1.6 to $3.28 in the past 10 years. It has also been paying out dividend consistently during this time, as you’d expect for a company increasing its dividend levels. This is an impressive feat, which makes XOM a true dividend rockstar.
The company currently pays out 63.8% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. Going forward, analysts expect XOM’s payout to remain around the same level at 60.5% of its earnings, which leads to a dividend yield of around 4.2%. In addition to this, EPS should increase to $5.04.
With Exxon Mobil producing strong dividend income for your portfolio over the past few years, you can take comfort in knowing that this stock will still continue to be a top dividend generator moving forward. However, given this is purely a dividend analysis, I urge potential investors to try and get a good understanding of the underlying business and its fundamentals before deciding on an investment. There are three important aspects you should look at:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for XOM’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for XOM’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is XOM worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether XOM is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there strong dividend payers with better fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.