See Hup Consolidated Berhad's (KLSE:SEEHUP) Stock Has Been Sliding But Fundamentals Look Strong: Is The Market Wrong?

By
Simply Wall St
Published
April 15, 2022
KLSE:SEEHUP
Source: Shutterstock

With its stock down 18% over the past three months, it is easy to disregard See Hup Consolidated Berhad (KLSE:SEEHUP). But if you pay close attention, you might gather that its strong financials could mean that the stock could potentially see an increase in value in the long-term, given how markets usually reward companies with good financial health. Particularly, we will be paying attention to See Hup Consolidated Berhad's ROE today.

Return on equity or ROE is a key measure used to assess how efficiently a company's management is utilizing the company's capital. In simpler terms, it measures the profitability of a company in relation to shareholder's equity.

View our latest analysis for See Hup Consolidated Berhad

How To Calculate Return On Equity?

Return on equity can be calculated by using the formula:

Return on Equity = Net Profit (from continuing operations) ÷ Shareholders' Equity

So, based on the above formula, the ROE for See Hup Consolidated Berhad is:

24% = RM24m ÷ RM100m (Based on the trailing twelve months to December 2021).

The 'return' is the amount earned after tax over the last twelve months. So, this means that for every MYR1 of its shareholder's investments, the company generates a profit of MYR0.24.

What Is The Relationship Between ROE And Earnings Growth?

So far, we've learned that ROE is a measure of a company's profitability. We now need to evaluate how much profit the company reinvests or "retains" for future growth which then gives us an idea about the growth potential of the company. Generally speaking, other things being equal, firms with a high return on equity and profit retention, have a higher growth rate than firms that don’t share these attributes.

See Hup Consolidated Berhad's Earnings Growth And 24% ROE

To begin with, See Hup Consolidated Berhad has a pretty high ROE which is interesting. Additionally, the company's ROE is higher compared to the industry average of 7.2% which is quite remarkable. Under the circumstances, See Hup Consolidated Berhad's considerable five year net income growth of 31% was to be expected.

As a next step, we compared See Hup Consolidated Berhad's net income growth with the industry, and pleasingly, we found that the growth seen by the company is higher than the average industry growth of 5.6%.

past-earnings-growth
KLSE:SEEHUP Past Earnings Growth April 15th 2022

Earnings growth is a huge factor in stock valuation. What investors need to determine next is if the expected earnings growth, or the lack of it, is already built into the share price. Doing so will help them establish if the stock's future looks promising or ominous. Is See Hup Consolidated Berhad fairly valued compared to other companies? These 3 valuation measures might help you decide.

Is See Hup Consolidated Berhad Making Efficient Use Of Its Profits?

See Hup Consolidated Berhad has a really low LTM (or last twelve month) payout ratio of 11%, meaning that it has the remaining 89% left over to reinvest into its business. So it seems like the management is reinvesting profits heavily to grow its business and this reflects in its earnings growth number.

Moreover, See Hup Consolidated Berhad is determined to keep sharing its profits with shareholders which we infer from its long history of paying a dividend for at least ten years.

Conclusion

Overall, we are quite pleased with See Hup Consolidated Berhad's performance. Specifically, we like that the company is reinvesting a huge chunk of its profits at a high rate of return. This of course has caused the company to see substantial growth in its earnings. If the company continues to grow its earnings the way it has, that could have a positive impact on its share price given how earnings per share influence long-term share prices. Not to forget, share price outcomes are also dependent on the potential risks a company may face. So it is important for investors to be aware of the risks involved in the business. You can see the 3 risks we have identified for See Hup Consolidated Berhad by visiting our risks dashboard for free on our platform here.

Discounted cash flow calculation for every stock

Simply Wall St does a detailed discounted cash flow calculation every 6 hours for every stock on the market, so if you want to find the intrinsic value of any company just search here. It’s FREE.

Make Confident Investment Decisions

Simply Wall St's Editorial Team provides unbiased, factual reporting on global stocks using in-depth fundamental analysis.
Find out more about our editorial guidelines and team.