We Think Some Shareholders May Hesitate To Increase Coastal Greenland Limited's (HKG:1124) CEO Compensation

By
Simply Wall St
Published
September 10, 2021
SEHK:1124
Source: Shutterstock

The underwhelming share price performance of Coastal Greenland Limited (HKG:1124) in the past three years would have disappointed many shareholders. Per share earnings growth is also poor, despite revenues growing. In light of this performance, shareholders will have a chance to question the board in the upcoming AGM on 17 September 2021, where they can impact on future company performance by voting on resolutions, including executive compensation. Here's our take on why we think shareholders might be hesitant about approving a raise at the moment.

View our latest analysis for Coastal Greenland

How Does Total Compensation For Ming Jiang Compare With Other Companies In The Industry?

According to our data, Coastal Greenland Limited has a market capitalization of HK$253m, and paid its CEO total annual compensation worth HK$2.3m over the year to March 2021. We note that's an increase of 14% above last year. We note that the salary portion, which stands at HK$2.27m constitutes the majority of total compensation received by the CEO.

In comparison with other companies in the industry with market capitalizations under HK$1.6b, the reported median total CEO compensation was HK$1.9m. So it looks like Coastal Greenland compensates Ming Jiang in line with the median for the industry.

Component20212020Proportion (2021)
Salary HK$2.3m HK$2.0m 99%
Other HK$17k HK$14k 1%
Total CompensationHK$2.3m HK$2.0m100%

Speaking on an industry level, nearly 69% of total compensation represents salary, while the remainder of 31% is other remuneration. Coastal Greenland has gone down a largely traditional route, paying Ming Jiang a high salary, giving it preference over non-salary benefits. If total compensation veers towards salary, it suggests that the variable portion - which is generally tied to performance, is lower.

ceo-compensation
SEHK:1124 CEO Compensation September 10th 2021

Coastal Greenland Limited's Growth

Over the last three years, Coastal Greenland Limited has shrunk its earnings per share by 95% per year. It achieved revenue growth of 319% over the last year.

Investors would be a bit wary of companies that have lower EPS On the other hand, the strong revenue growth suggests the business is growing. In conclusion we can't form a strong opinion about business performance yet; but it's one worth watching. Although we don't have analyst forecasts, you might want to assess this data-rich visualization of earnings, revenue and cash flow.

Has Coastal Greenland Limited Been A Good Investment?

With a total shareholder return of -74% over three years, Coastal Greenland Limited shareholders would by and large be disappointed. This suggests it would be unwise for the company to pay the CEO too generously.

To Conclude...

Ming receives almost all of their compensation through a salary. The loss to shareholders over the past three years is certainly concerning and possibly has something to do with the fact that the company's earnings haven't grown. In the upcoming AGM, shareholders will get the opportunity to discuss any issues with the board, including those related to CEO remuneration and assess if the board's plan is in line with their expectations.

CEO compensation is an important area to keep your eyes on, but we've also need to pay attention to other attributes of the company. That's why we did our research, and identified 3 warning signs for Coastal Greenland (of which 2 are significant!) that you should know about in order to have a holistic understanding of the stock.

Important note: Coastal Greenland is an exciting stock, but we understand investors may be looking for an unencumbered balance sheet and blockbuster returns. You might find something better in this list of interesting companies with high ROE and low debt.

When trading stocks or any other investment, use the platform considered by many to be the Professional's Gateway to the Worlds Market, Interactive Brokers. You get the lowest-cost* trading on stocks, options, futures, forex, bonds and funds worldwide from a single integrated account. Promoted


Discounted cash flow calculation for every stock

Simply Wall St does a detailed discounted cash flow calculation every 6 hours for every stock on the market, so if you want to find the intrinsic value of any company just search here. It’s FREE.

Make Confident Investment Decisions

Simply Wall St's Editorial Team provides unbiased, factual reporting on global stocks using in-depth fundamental analysis.
Find out more about our editorial guidelines and team.