Here's Why Shareholders Should Examine Shun Wo Group Holdings Limited's (HKG:1591) CEO Compensation Package More Closely

By
Simply Wall St
Published
September 02, 2021
SEHK:1591
Source: Shutterstock

Shun Wo Group Holdings Limited (HKG:1591) has not performed well recently and CEO Tony Wong will probably need to up their game. Shareholders will be interested in what the board will have to say about turning performance around at the next AGM on 09 September 2021. This will be also be a chance where they can challenge the board on company direction and vote on resolutions such as executive remuneration. From our analysis, we think CEO compensation may need a review in light of the recent performance.

Check out our latest analysis for Shun Wo Group Holdings

Comparing Shun Wo Group Holdings Limited's CEO Compensation With the industry

Our data indicates that Shun Wo Group Holdings Limited has a market capitalization of HK$148m, and total annual CEO compensation was reported as HK$1.8m for the year to March 2021. This was the same amount the CEO received in the prior year. We note that the salary portion, which stands at HK$1.20m constitutes the majority of total compensation received by the CEO.

On comparing similar-sized companies in the industry with market capitalizations below HK$1.6b, we found that the median total CEO compensation was HK$1.8m. So it looks like Shun Wo Group Holdings compensates Tony Wong in line with the median for the industry.

Component20212020Proportion (2021)
Salary HK$1.2m HK$1.2m 66%
Other HK$618k HK$618k 34%
Total CompensationHK$1.8m HK$1.8m100%

Speaking on an industry level, nearly 90% of total compensation represents salary, while the remainder of 10% is other remuneration. Shun Wo Group Holdings sets aside a smaller share of compensation for salary, in comparison to the overall industry. If total compensation veers towards salary, it suggests that the variable portion - which is generally tied to performance, is lower.

ceo-compensation
SEHK:1591 CEO Compensation September 2nd 2021

Shun Wo Group Holdings Limited's Growth

Over the last three years, Shun Wo Group Holdings Limited has shrunk its earnings per share by 46% per year. It achieved revenue growth of 7.4% over the last year.

Few shareholders would be pleased to read that EPS have declined. And the modest revenue growth over 12 months isn't much comfort against the reduced EPS. So given this relatively weak performance, shareholders would probably not want to see high compensation for the CEO. We don't have analyst forecasts, but you could get a better understanding of its growth by checking out this more detailed historical graph of earnings, revenue and cash flow.

Has Shun Wo Group Holdings Limited Been A Good Investment?

The return of -58% over three years would not have pleased Shun Wo Group Holdings Limited shareholders. Therefore, it might be upsetting for shareholders if the CEO were paid generously.

In Summary...

Not only have shareholders not seen a favorable return on their investment, but the business hasn't performed well either. Few shareholders would be willing to award the CEO with a pay raise. At the upcoming AGM, management will get a chance to explain how they plan to get the business back on track and address the concerns from investors.

CEO pay is simply one of the many factors that need to be considered while examining business performance. We did our research and identified 3 warning signs (and 1 which can't be ignored) in Shun Wo Group Holdings we think you should know about.

Switching gears from Shun Wo Group Holdings, if you're hunting for a pristine balance sheet and premium returns, this free list of high return, low debt companies is a great place to look.

If you're looking for stocks to buy, use the lowest-cost* platform that is rated #1 Overall by Barron’s, Interactive Brokers. Trade stocks, options, futures, forex, bonds and funds on 135 markets, all from a single integrated account. Promoted


Discounted cash flow calculation for every stock

Simply Wall St does a detailed discounted cash flow calculation every 6 hours for every stock on the market, so if you want to find the intrinsic value of any company just search here. It’s FREE.

Make Confident Investment Decisions

Simply Wall St's Editorial Team provides unbiased, factual reporting on global stocks using in-depth fundamental analysis.
Find out more about our editorial guidelines and team.