Have you been keeping an eye on EVRAZ plc’s (LON:EVR) upcoming dividend of US$0.40 per share payable on the 06 September 2018? Then you only have 2 days left before the stock starts trading ex-dividend on the 16 August 2018. Investors looking for higher income-generating stocks to add to their portfolio should keep reading, as I take a deeper dive into EVRAZ’s latest financial data to analyse its dividend attributes.
5 questions I ask before picking a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Is it the top 25% annual dividend yield payer?
- Does it consistently pay out dividends without missing a payment of significantly cutting payout?
- Has dividend per share amount increased over the past?
- Does earnings amply cover its dividend payments?
- Will the company be able to keep paying dividend based on the future earnings growth?
Does EVRAZ pass our checks?
The company currently pays out 67.69% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a payout ratio of 62.59%, leading to a dividend yield of 8.24%. Moreover, EPS is forecasted to fall to $0.91 in the upcoming year.
If there’s one type of stock you want to be reliable, it’s dividend stocks and their stable income-generating ability. Unfortunately, it is really too early to view EVRAZ as a dividend investment. It has only been consistently paying dividends for 7 years, however, standard practice for reliable payers is to look for a 10-year minimum track record.
Relative to peers, EVRAZ produces a yield of 8.22%, which is high for Metals and Mining stocks.
Considering the dividend attributes we analyzed above, EVRAZ is definitely worth keeping an eye on for someone looking to build a dedicated income portfolio. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. I’ve put together three important factors you should look at:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for EVR’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for EVR’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is EVR worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether EVR is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.