Dividends can be underrated but they form a large part of investment returns, playing an important role in compounding returns in the long run. In the last few years Q-Soft Verwaltungs AG (BST:QS6A) has paid a dividend to shareholders. Today it yields 3.0%. Should it have a place in your portfolio? Let’s take a look at Q-Soft Verwaltungs in more detail.
Want to help shape the future of investing tools and platforms? Take the survey and be part of one of the most advanced studies of stock market investors to date.
5 checks you should do on a dividend stock
Whenever I am looking at a potential dividend stock investment, I always check these five metrics:
- Is their annual yield among the top 25% of dividend payers?
- Has it paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past?
- Has dividend per share amount increased over the past?
- Is is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will it be able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future?
Does Q-Soft Verwaltungs pass our checks?
The company currently pays out 66% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company. A business with strong cash flow can sustain a higher divided payout ratio than a company with weak cash flow.
If there’s one type of stock you want to be reliable, it’s dividend stocks and their stable income-generating ability. Unfortunately, it is really too early to view Q-Soft Verwaltungs as a dividend investment. It has only been consistently paying dividends for 2 years, however, standard practice for reliable payers is to look for a 10-year minimum track record.
Relative to peers, Q-Soft Verwaltungs produces a yield of 3.0%, which is high for Software stocks but still below the market’s top dividend payers.
After digging a little deeper into Q-Soft Verwaltungs’s yield, it’s easy to see why you should be cautious investing in the company just for the dividend. On the other hand, if you are not strictly just a dividend investor, the stock could still be offering some interesting investment opportunities. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. There are three important factors you should further examine:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for QS6A’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for QS6A’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is QS6A worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether QS6A is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.