Dividends can be underrated but they form a large part of investment returns, playing an important role in compounding returns in the long run. Over the past 2 years, Q-Soft Verwaltungs AG (BST:QS6A) has returned an average of 2.00% per year to shareholders in terms of dividend yield. Should it have a place in your portfolio? Let’s take a look at Q-Soft Verwaltungs in more detail.
5 questions to ask before buying a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Is it paying an annual yield above 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Is is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will it have the ability to keep paying its dividends going forward?
Does Q-Soft Verwaltungs pass our checks?
The current trailing twelve-month payout ratio for the stock is 63.38%, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. Unfortunately, it is really too early to view Q-Soft Verwaltungs as a dividend investment. It has only been consistently paying dividends for 2 years, however, standard practice for reliable payers is to look for a 10-year minimum track record.
Compared to its peers, Q-Soft Verwaltungs generates a yield of 2.86%, which is high for Software stocks but still below the market’s top dividend payers.
Now you know to keep in mind the reason why investors should be careful investing in Q-Soft Verwaltungs for the dividend. But if you are not exclusively a dividend investor, the stock could still be an interesting investment opportunity. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. Below, I’ve compiled three fundamental aspects you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for QS6A’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for QS6A’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is QS6A worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether QS6A is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.