Could The Market Be Wrong About JOST Werke AG (ETR:JST) Given Its Attractive Financial Prospects?

By
Simply Wall St
Published
February 24, 2022
XTRA:JST
Source: Shutterstock

With its stock down 12% over the past three months, it is easy to disregard JOST Werke (ETR:JST). But if you pay close attention, you might gather that its strong financials could mean that the stock could potentially see an increase in value in the long-term, given how markets usually reward companies with good financial health. Specifically, we decided to study JOST Werke's ROE in this article.

Return on Equity or ROE is a test of how effectively a company is growing its value and managing investors’ money. In simpler terms, it measures the profitability of a company in relation to shareholder's equity.

View our latest analysis for JOST Werke

How Is ROE Calculated?

The formula for ROE is:

Return on Equity = Net Profit (from continuing operations) ÷ Shareholders' Equity

So, based on the above formula, the ROE for JOST Werke is:

16% = €48m ÷ €296m (Based on the trailing twelve months to September 2021).

The 'return' is the amount earned after tax over the last twelve months. One way to conceptualize this is that for each €1 of shareholders' capital it has, the company made €0.16 in profit.

Why Is ROE Important For Earnings Growth?

We have already established that ROE serves as an efficient profit-generating gauge for a company's future earnings. We now need to evaluate how much profit the company reinvests or "retains" for future growth which then gives us an idea about the growth potential of the company. Generally speaking, other things being equal, firms with a high return on equity and profit retention, have a higher growth rate than firms that don’t share these attributes.

JOST Werke's Earnings Growth And 16% ROE

To begin with, JOST Werke seems to have a respectable ROE. Especially when compared to the industry average of 9.3% the company's ROE looks pretty impressive. Probably as a result of this, JOST Werke was able to see an impressive net income growth of 46% over the last five years. We reckon that there could also be other factors at play here. For instance, the company has a low payout ratio or is being managed efficiently.

When you consider the fact that the industry earnings have shrunk at a rate of 7.5% in the same period, the company's net income growth is pretty remarkable.

past-earnings-growth
XTRA:JST Past Earnings Growth February 24th 2022

Earnings growth is an important metric to consider when valuing a stock. It’s important for an investor to know whether the market has priced in the company's expected earnings growth (or decline). This then helps them determine if the stock is placed for a bright or bleak future. If you're wondering about JOST Werke's's valuation, check out this gauge of its price-to-earnings ratio, as compared to its industry.

Is JOST Werke Making Efficient Use Of Its Profits?

The three-year median payout ratio for JOST Werke is 35%, which is moderately low. The company is retaining the remaining 65%. By the looks of it, the dividend is well covered and JOST Werke is reinvesting its profits efficiently as evidenced by its exceptional growth which we discussed above.

Besides, JOST Werke has been paying dividends over a period of four years. This shows that the company is committed to sharing profits with its shareholders. Our latest analyst data shows that the future payout ratio of the company is expected to drop to 26% over the next three years. Regardless, the ROE is not expected to change much for the company despite the lower expected payout ratio.

Conclusion

On the whole, we feel that JOST Werke's performance has been quite good. In particular, it's great to see that the company is investing heavily into its business and along with a high rate of return, that has resulted in a sizeable growth in its earnings. With that said, the latest industry analyst forecasts reveal that the company's earnings growth is expected to slow down. To know more about the latest analysts predictions for the company, check out this visualization of analyst forecasts for the company.

Discounted cash flow calculation for every stock

Simply Wall St does a detailed discounted cash flow calculation every 6 hours for every stock on the market, so if you want to find the intrinsic value of any company just search here. It’s FREE.

Make Confident Investment Decisions

Simply Wall St's Editorial Team provides unbiased, factual reporting on global stocks using in-depth fundamental analysis.
Find out more about our editorial guidelines and team.