Performance at American States Water Company (NYSE:AWR) has been reasonably good and CEO Bob Sprowls has done a decent job of steering the company in the right direction. As shareholders go into the upcoming AGM on 18 May 2021, CEO compensation will probably not be their focus, but rather the steps management will take to continue the growth momentum. However, some shareholders may still be hesitant of being overly generous with CEO compensation.
How Does Total Compensation For Bob Sprowls Compare With Other Companies In The Industry?
At the time of writing, our data shows that American States Water Company has a market capitalization of US$2.9b, and reported total annual CEO compensation of US$5.9m for the year to December 2020. Notably, that's an increase of 19% over the year before. We think total compensation is more important but our data shows that the CEO salary is lower, at US$860k.
In comparison with other companies in the industry with market capitalizations ranging from US$2.0b to US$6.4b, the reported median CEO total compensation was US$2.4m. This suggests that Bob Sprowls is paid more than the median for the industry. Moreover, Bob Sprowls also holds US$11m worth of American States Water stock directly under their own name, which reveals to us that they have a significant personal stake in the company.
Speaking on an industry level, nearly 28% of total compensation represents salary, while the remainder of 72% is other remuneration. American States Water pays a modest slice of remuneration through salary, as compared to the broader industry. If non-salary compensation dominates total pay, it's an indicator that the executive's salary is tied to company performance.
American States Water Company's Growth
Over the past three years, American States Water Company has seen its earnings per share (EPS) grow by 11% per year. It achieved revenue growth of 3.1% over the last year.
Overall this is a positive result for shareholders, showing that the company has improved in recent years. It's nice to see revenue heading northwards, as this is consistent with healthy business conditions. Looking ahead, you might want to check this free visual report on analyst forecasts for the company's future earnings..
Has American States Water Company Been A Good Investment?
Most shareholders would probably be pleased with American States Water Company for providing a total return of 51% over three years. As a result, some may believe the CEO should be paid more than is normal for companies of similar size.
Given that the company's overall performance has been reasonable, the CEO remuneration policy might not be shareholders' central point of focus in the upcoming AGM. However, any decision to raise CEO pay might be met with some objections from the shareholders given that the CEO is already paid higher than the industry average.
While it is important to pay attention to CEO remuneration, investors should also consider other elements of the business. That's why we did some digging and identified 1 warning sign for American States Water that you should be aware of before investing.
Switching gears from American States Water, if you're hunting for a pristine balance sheet and premium returns, this free list of high return, low debt companies is a great place to look.
If you decide to trade American States Water, use the lowest-cost* platform that is rated #1 Overall by Barron’s, Interactive Brokers. Trade stocks, options, futures, forex, bonds and funds on 135 markets, all from a single integrated account. Promoted
Valuation is complex, but we're helping make it simple.
Find out whether American States Water is potentially over or undervalued by checking out our comprehensive analysis, which includes fair value estimates, risks and warnings, dividends, insider transactions and financial health.View the Free Analysis
This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. We aim to bring you long-term focused analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material. Simply Wall St has no position in any stocks mentioned.
*Interactive Brokers Rated Lowest Cost Broker by StockBrokers.com Annual Online Review 2020
Have feedback on this article? Concerned about the content? Get in touch with us directly. Alternatively, email editorial-team (at) simplywallst.com.
American States Water
American States Water Company, through its subsidiaries, provides water and electric services to residential, commercial, industrial, and other customers in the United States.
Average dividend payer with questionable track record.