With its stock down 8.8% over the past three months, it is easy to disregard Kyung Dong Navien (KRX:009450). However, a closer look at its sound financials might cause you to think again. Given that fundamentals usually drive long-term market outcomes, the company is worth looking at. In this article, we decided to focus on Kyung Dong Navien's ROE.
Return on equity or ROE is a key measure used to assess how efficiently a company's management is utilizing the company's capital. Put another way, it reveals the company's success at turning shareholder investments into profits.
How Do You Calculate Return On Equity?
The formula for ROE is:
Return on Equity = Net Profit (from continuing operations) ÷ Shareholders' Equity
So, based on the above formula, the ROE for Kyung Dong Navien is:
12% = ₩39b ÷ ₩328b (Based on the trailing twelve months to September 2020).
The 'return' is the profit over the last twelve months. So, this means that for every ₩1 of its shareholder's investments, the company generates a profit of ₩0.12.
What Is The Relationship Between ROE And Earnings Growth?
We have already established that ROE serves as an efficient profit-generating gauge for a company's future earnings. Depending on how much of these profits the company reinvests or "retains", and how effectively it does so, we are then able to assess a company’s earnings growth potential. Assuming everything else remains unchanged, the higher the ROE and profit retention, the higher the growth rate of a company compared to companies that don't necessarily bear these characteristics.
A Side By Side comparison of Kyung Dong Navien's Earnings Growth And 12% ROE
To begin with, Kyung Dong Navien seems to have a respectable ROE. Further, the company's ROE compares quite favorably to the industry average of 3.8%. Probably as a result of this, Kyung Dong Navien was able to see a decent growth of 5.6% over the last five years.
When you consider the fact that the industry earnings have shrunk at a rate of 18% in the same period, the company's net income growth is pretty remarkable.
The basis for attaching value to a company is, to a great extent, tied to its earnings growth. It’s important for an investor to know whether the market has priced in the company's expected earnings growth (or decline). By doing so, they will have an idea if the stock is headed into clear blue waters or if swampy waters await. If you're wondering about Kyung Dong Navien's's valuation, check out this gauge of its price-to-earnings ratio, as compared to its industry.
Is Kyung Dong Navien Using Its Retained Earnings Effectively?
Kyung Dong Navien has a low three-year median payout ratio of 12%, meaning that the company retains the remaining 88% of its profits. This suggests that the management is reinvesting most of the profits to grow the business.
Moreover, Kyung Dong Navien is determined to keep sharing its profits with shareholders which we infer from its long history of paying a dividend for at least ten years.
On the whole, we feel that Kyung Dong Navien's performance has been quite good. Particularly, we like that the company is reinvesting heavily into its business, and at a high rate of return. Unsurprisingly, this has led to an impressive earnings growth. If the company continues to grow its earnings the way it has, that could have a positive impact on its share price given how earnings per share influence long-term share prices. Not to forget, share price outcomes are also dependent on the potential risks a company may face. So it is important for investors to be aware of the risks involved in the business. You can see the 2 risks we have identified for Kyung Dong Navien by visiting our risks dashboard for free on our platform here.
When trading Kyung Dong Navien or any other investment, use the platform considered by many to be the Professional's Gateway to the Worlds Market, Interactive Brokers. You get the lowest-cost* trading on stocks, options, futures, forex, bonds and funds worldwide from a single integrated account. Promoted
This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. We aim to bring you long-term focused analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material. Simply Wall St has no position in any stocks mentioned.
*Interactive Brokers Rated Lowest Cost Broker by StockBrokers.com Annual Online Review 2020
Have feedback on this article? Concerned about the content? Get in touch with us directly. Alternatively, email editorial-team (at) simplywallst.com.