Aircastle Limited (NYSE:AYR) has pleased shareholders over the past 10 years, by paying out dividends. The company currently pays out a dividend yield of 5.8% to shareholders, making it a relatively attractive dividend stock. Let’s dig deeper into whether Aircastle should have a place in your portfolio.
Want to help shape the future of investing tools and platforms? Take the survey and be part of one of the most advanced studies of stock market investors to date.
5 checks you should do on a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Is its annual yield among the top 25% of dividend-paying companies?
- Does it consistently pay out dividends without missing a payment of significantly cutting payout?
- Has it increased its dividend per share amount over the past?
- Is is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Based on future earnings growth, will it be able to continue to payout dividend at the current rate?
How does Aircastle fare?
The company currently pays out 44% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a payout ratio of 44% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of around 6.2%. In addition to this, EPS is forecasted to fall to $2.45 in the upcoming year.
If you want to dive deeper into the sustainability of a certain payout ratio, you may wish to consider the cash flow of the business. A company with strong cash flow, relative to earnings, can sometimes sustain a high pay out ratio.
Reliablity is an important factor for dividend stocks, particularly for income investors who want a strong track record of payment and a positive outlook for future payout. AYR has increased its DPS from $0.40 to $1.12 in the past 10 years. During this period it has not missed a payment, as one would expect for a company increasing its dividend. This is an impressive feat, which makes AYR a true dividend rockstar.
Relative to peers, Aircastle produces a yield of 5.8%, which is high for Trade Distributors stocks.
With this in mind, I definitely rank Aircastle as a strong dividend stock, and makes it worth further research for anyone who likes steady income generation from their portfolio. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. Below, I’ve compiled three essential aspects you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for AYR’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for AYR’s outlook.
- Historical Performance: What has AYR’s returns been like over the past? Go into more detail in the past track record analysis and take a look at the free visual representations of our analysis for more clarity.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.