A large part of investment returns can be generated by dividend-paying stock given their role in compounding returns over time. Historically, Riverview Bancorp Inc (NASDAQ:RVSB) has been paying a dividend to shareholders. Today it yields 1.8%. Does Riverview Bancorp tick all the boxes of a great dividend stock? Below, I’ll take you through my analysis.
Here’s how I find good dividend stocks
If you are a dividend investor, you should always assess these five key metrics:
- Is it the top 25% annual dividend yield payer?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has it increased its dividend per share amount over the past?
- Is its earnings sufficient to payout dividend at the current rate?
- Will it have the ability to keep paying its dividends going forward?
How well does Riverview Bancorp fit our criteria?
The current trailing twelve-month payout ratio for the stock is 22%, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
When thinking about whether a dividend is sustainable, another factor to consider is the cash flow. Cash flow is important because companies with strong cash flow can usually sustain higher payout ratios.
If there’s one type of stock you want to be reliable, it’s dividend stocks and their stable income-generating ability. RVSB investors will be well aware the dividend payments are lower today than they were 10 years ago, although the payments have at least been steady. Though this may not be a serious red flag, strong dividend stocks should always strive to increase its payout over time.
In terms of its peers, Riverview Bancorp produces a yield of 1.8%, which is on the low-side for Mortgage stocks.
If Riverview Bancorp is in your portfolio for cash-generating reasons, there may be better alternatives out there. But if you are not exclusively a dividend investor, the stock could still be an interesting investment opportunity. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. I’ve put together three fundamental aspects you should further examine:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for RVSB’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for RVSB’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is RVSB worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether RVSB is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.