CSPC Pharmaceutical Group Limited's (HKG:1093) Fundamentals Look Pretty Strong: Could The Market Be Wrong About The Stock?

By
Simply Wall St
Published
December 26, 2021
SEHK:1093
Source: Shutterstock

It is hard to get excited after looking at CSPC Pharmaceutical Group's (HKG:1093) recent performance, when its stock has declined 12% over the past three months. But if you pay close attention, you might gather that its strong financials could mean that the stock could potentially see an increase in value in the long-term, given how markets usually reward companies with good financial health. Specifically, we decided to study CSPC Pharmaceutical Group's ROE in this article.

Return on Equity or ROE is a test of how effectively a company is growing its value and managing investors’ money. In short, ROE shows the profit each dollar generates with respect to its shareholder investments.

See our latest analysis for CSPC Pharmaceutical Group

How Is ROE Calculated?

The formula for ROE is:

Return on Equity = Net Profit (from continuing operations) ÷ Shareholders' Equity

So, based on the above formula, the ROE for CSPC Pharmaceutical Group is:

24% = CN¥6.1b ÷ CN¥25b (Based on the trailing twelve months to September 2021).

The 'return' refers to a company's earnings over the last year. That means that for every HK$1 worth of shareholders' equity, the company generated HK$0.24 in profit.

What Is The Relationship Between ROE And Earnings Growth?

Thus far, we have learned that ROE measures how efficiently a company is generating its profits. Depending on how much of these profits the company reinvests or "retains", and how effectively it does so, we are then able to assess a company’s earnings growth potential. Assuming everything else remains unchanged, the higher the ROE and profit retention, the higher the growth rate of a company compared to companies that don't necessarily bear these characteristics.

CSPC Pharmaceutical Group's Earnings Growth And 24% ROE

To begin with, CSPC Pharmaceutical Group has a pretty high ROE which is interesting. Additionally, the company's ROE is higher compared to the industry average of 11% which is quite remarkable. Under the circumstances, CSPC Pharmaceutical Group's considerable five year net income growth of 24% was to be expected.

Next, on comparing with the industry net income growth, we found that CSPC Pharmaceutical Group's growth is quite high when compared to the industry average growth of 11% in the same period, which is great to see.

past-earnings-growth
SEHK:1093 Past Earnings Growth December 26th 2021

Earnings growth is a huge factor in stock valuation. It’s important for an investor to know whether the market has priced in the company's expected earnings growth (or decline). This then helps them determine if the stock is placed for a bright or bleak future. If you're wondering about CSPC Pharmaceutical Group's's valuation, check out this gauge of its price-to-earnings ratio, as compared to its industry.

Is CSPC Pharmaceutical Group Efficiently Re-investing Its Profits?

The three-year median payout ratio for CSPC Pharmaceutical Group is 28%, which is moderately low. The company is retaining the remaining 72%. This suggests that its dividend is well covered, and given the high growth we discussed above, it looks like CSPC Pharmaceutical Group is reinvesting its earnings efficiently.

Besides, CSPC Pharmaceutical Group has been paying dividends for at least ten years or more. This shows that the company is committed to sharing profits with its shareholders. Upon studying the latest analysts' consensus data, we found that the company is expected to keep paying out approximately 30% of its profits over the next three years. Therefore, the company's future ROE is also not expected to change by much with analysts predicting an ROE of 20%.

Conclusion

In total, we are pretty happy with CSPC Pharmaceutical Group's performance. Specifically, we like that the company is reinvesting a huge chunk of its profits at a high rate of return. This of course has caused the company to see substantial growth in its earnings. With that said, the latest industry analyst forecasts reveal that the company's earnings growth is expected to slow down. Are these analysts expectations based on the broad expectations for the industry, or on the company's fundamentals? Click here to be taken to our analyst's forecasts page for the company.

Discounted cash flow calculation for every stock

Simply Wall St does a detailed discounted cash flow calculation every 6 hours for every stock on the market, so if you want to find the intrinsic value of any company just search here. It’s FREE.

Make Confident Investment Decisions

Simply Wall St's Editorial Team provides unbiased, factual reporting on global stocks using in-depth fundamental analysis.
Find out more about our editorial guidelines and team.