A sizeable part of portfolio returns can be produced by dividend stocks due to their contribution to compounding returns in the long run. In the last few years Alm. Brand A/S (CPH:ALMB) has paid a dividend to shareholders. Today it yields 6.0%. Let’s dig deeper into whether Alm. Brand should have a place in your portfolio.
How I analyze a dividend stock
When researching a dividend stock, I always follow the following screening criteria:
- Is it paying an annual yield above 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Can it afford to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will it have the ability to keep paying its dividends going forward?
How well does Alm. Brand fit our criteria?
The company currently pays out 39% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a higher payout ratio of 58% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of around 5.0%. Moreover, EPS should increase to DKK4.02. The higher payout forecasted, along with higher earnings, should lead to greater dividend income for investors moving forward.
When thinking about whether a dividend is sustainable, another factor to consider is the cash flow. A company with strong cash flow, relative to earnings, can sometimes sustain a high pay out ratio.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. Unfortunately, it is really too early to view Alm. Brand as a dividend investment. It has only been consistently paying dividends for 4 years, however, standard practice for reliable payers is to look for a 10-year minimum track record.
Relative to peers, Alm. Brand has a yield of 6.0%, which is high for Insurance stocks.
Considering the dividend attributes we analyzed above, Alm. Brand is definitely worth keeping an eye on for someone looking to build a dedicated income portfolio. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. There are three essential aspects you should further examine:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for ALMB’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for ALMB’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is ALMB worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether ALMB is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.