Dividends play an important role in compounding returns in the long run and end up forming a sizeable part of investment returns. Over the past 3 years, Gateway Lifestyle Group (ASX:GTY) has returned an average of 4.00% per year to shareholders in terms of dividend yield. Does Gateway Lifestyle Group tick all the boxes of a great dividend stock? Below, I’ll take you through my analysis.
5 checks you should do on a dividend stock
If you are a dividend investor, you should always assess these five key metrics:
- Is it paying an annual yield above 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has it increased its dividend per share amount over the past?
- Is is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will it be able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future?
How well does Gateway Lifestyle Group fit our criteria?
The current trailing twelve-month payout ratio for the stock is 46.53%, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a higher payout ratio of 69.98%, leading to a dividend yield of 5.85%. However, EPS is forecasted to fall to A$0.15 in the upcoming year. Therefore, although payout is expected to increase, the fall in earnings may not equate to higher dividend income.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. Unfortunately, it is really too early to view Gateway Lifestyle Group as a dividend investment. It has only been consistently paying dividends for 3 years, however, standard practice for reliable payers is to look for a 10-year minimum track record.
In terms of its peers, Gateway Lifestyle Group generates a yield of 4.08%, which is high for Real Estate stocks but still below the market’s top dividend payers.
If Gateway Lifestyle Group is in your portfolio for cash-generating reasons, there may be better alternatives out there. However, if you are not strictly just a dividend investor, the stock could still offer some interesting investment opportunities. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. There are three relevant factors you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for GTY’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for GTY’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is GTY worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether GTY is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.